</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SteveGangi @ Feb 2 2003, 09:21 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I know.&nbsp; I had a similar experience.&nbsp; A neighbor recently bought a digital camera and asked me to figure it out.&nbsp; I am an engineer after all.&nbsp; After inspecting it and trying to look intelligent, I handed it back and said "Hell I don&#39;t even know how to turn it on". </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
I think I&#39;ve been there, done that.... and have the T-shirt.

Stockholm a couple of years ago: I was engaged in taking the usual "tourist" photos wth the Hasselblads, complete with dangling light meter, wife wrangling spare lenses, etc, (come to think of it ... I HOPE they weren&#39;t "usual"), when, during a lull, a half of an oriental couple handed me this ... THING ... with the usual non-verbal sign language asking me to take their picture.

Uh... yeah. Right. I think this thing is a camera. I seem to see ... or rather, sense, a lens about here... and it&#39;s possible to look through here ...

After a coupe of stupid-look-filled minutes the oriental male realized that I had nothing resembling a clue ... and motioned to me where I should push.

A few years ago, my 35mm "axe" - an Olympus OM4 - was caught in a twelve-inch rainstorm that flooded my darkroom. I still have nightmares of opening the back and pouring out muddy water.
Using the 30% rule - "If it costs more than 30% of the price of a new one to repair, buy a new one", I shopped around. I looked at an electronic wonder with all kinds of "Programs". From the manual- #1: Will operate the autofocus lens BEFORE setting the shutter speed and AFTER setting the aperture; #2: Will trip the shutter at the exact moment the moon becomes full; #3: ...

After five minutes or so, I realized that the only way I&#39;d use this puppy would be to disable everything ... and I had no hope of ever understanding WHY on earth a lens should be focused AFTER ... etc.

The OM4 ... impending discontinuance and all ... works fine. In fact, I think the repairs actually IMPROVED a lot of the operations.