Quote Originally Posted by cafeharrar View Post
I wonder how it would work out trying to shoot datsuryoku style with a 20x24 camera while hiking in the Rockies... Could be an interesting challenge! Anyone?
Right. The term, "datsuryoku" means "out of energy" or "no energy" in a normal literal sense, so as you said, it's realy like, "how?" It doesn't make sense because the term also sounds representing a slacker culture, you know, so do slackers hike up moutains and go, "yeah, we made it! Feels great!"

But the things this has to do with the viewers' perception, and for their consumption, it seems the viewers are the ones who rule out so much about the styles that artists(photographers, musicians, actors/actresses, etc) present. They are talking about the surface quality in a sense that goes synthetic with the looks of the artists. They say, "oh, he/she(artist) looks such and such, because of such and such." Or "by looking at the work of xxx (the name of the artist), I feel relaxed." Or "I like the way this xxx (the name of the artist) lives his/her life." That's very cool/neat/idealisitc, etc"

So, to some extent, to the viewers, it doesn't matter what real effort that the artists (have to make) is, the viewers only care about some sort of the "effortless-ness", that is their meaning of "out-of-energy." But those artists, or at least their marketing representatives including art curators, critics, and other reviwers know how to play this game.

So, if you look at someone who works like a hardworking car-mechanic with his face covered with machine oil and lots of sweat, wearing a jumpsuit on a hot summer day, but is actually a furniture designer for Ikea or Muji, which have very clean-cut, simplistic and/or minimalist, and hip products, you as a viewer don't call his (life) style, "datsuryoku" or "iyashi", etc. This is the best example I could give you, and I hope I'm not confusing you too much with it.