Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Orte Tudela View Post
The spanish newspaper "El País" has published today an interview to Antonio Pérez in it's economy section.

You can read it for free in:

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/econo...lpepieco_5/Tes

As it's in spanish I'll try to translate some points (although surely most of you already knew that). Please forgive my poor english:

"(...) Of our world factories there is only one remaining, very reduced, in Rochester (USA) and another, in UK. Now they are very efficient because, although the film business has decreased, it's still a good business, specially for the cinema."

"What I'm very proud of is that there hasn't been a single interruption of any plant production."

"2005 was the first year in which the digital business beat the film business, how are they now?

In 2007 we'll finish around 80%. And it will be further because film will be stand or it will decrease (...)"

"I continue using film. Although I'm not a representative consumer, because I have a photography study in my house. For snapshots I always use digital. But if I make a portrait of my daughter in an special day, I do it with film. Knowing how to use light, you can achieve marvelous things."

"What will be the future of traditional photography? (free translation, literal translation is "To what will be reduced traditional photography?", but It doesn't sound good to me)

To special cases and people who knows very well how to use a camera. Most people who buy very expensive reflex cameras is using it in automatic mode. I don't know why they spend 1.000 euros and use it in automatic. Digital cameras are going to take most of the market, without doubts. In special moments you'll be able to use other kind of cameras... if you know how to use them."
It's hard for me to attack Perez when he's presented in this light (so to speak). Indeed his observations are pretty accurate if I'm correctly reading between the lines:

"Most will be satisfied with automation and digital but film can really give you that little bit extra if you can exploit it".

He doesn't sound like somebody "out to kill film" or who's taking particular pleasure in "bringing down the shutter on Kodak's film division". I certainly hope that market trends and stock market analysts don't oblige him to continue down that road.

I don't envy the man his job, that's for sure, regardless of what he's being paid - and that's considerable. EK is still a company under siege...