Quote Originally Posted by bjorke View Post
Actually, I pressed the "reply with quote" button, which did all the direct-quote typing for me, to avoid any duplicity of effort

Your quoting of MY post let me realize how poor a typist I am! "direct action of the power of chance" should have been "direct action OR the power of chance" and "you own it to the work" should be "you OWE it to the work" *sigh*

I continue to be puzzled though, why someone who says they avoid portraiture has been so vocal in their opinions about Mann & the other aforementioned and influential portraitists (and quick to inappropriately trot-out the "p word" too) -- while not really talking directly about the pictures themselves very much (not even simpl elow-hanging fruit like the prominent role, in both Mann & Sturges, of water). Not to turn it into armchair psychology (though a huge bit of art, imo, is exactly that).

Sometimes I think that art with all that icky human internal-state stuff sliced-off is what most "crasftman" imagery strives for. A dully art-like product made from Statements, rather than questions or poems.

(these shooters are imo Mann-influenced in varying degrees, and Sanguinetti is an especially good example of kids-as-collaborators, of what Jessie Mann, these days, calls "the agency of the subject")
THANK YOU Bjorke - for the very thoughtful reply. Well, indeed - it puzzles me too. I just feel that portraiture, for me, is EXTREMELY complicated. Much of the reason why is political (i.e. - having the consent of the sitter, for example... and then there is SOOO MUCH responsibility involved in that transaction vis-a-vis representation). So - certain portraiture illustrates why this is. Perhaps mann & sturges both. I'm not sure. I'd have to think about it more.

I WOULD SAY (perhaps this will be EQUALLY as contentious a statement for you as the earlier ones) that the examples you've provided are WORLDS away (again, for me only perhaps) from Mann's portraits. I say this because you could EASILY replace the model in either of the photos and it would be the same photograph. I don't think that is at ALL the case in Mann's portraits. Nor do I think it's the case with Sturges! Perhaps that is somehow the CORE of what gets to me about that work. About the 'personal' - the 'closeness'. I don't pick that up from the examples you gave... again - I hope this made some sense and somehow, from this dialogue we can both, and all, grow in terms of our relationships to the work and photography/art as a whole.