Quote Originally Posted by mikewhi
On another thread, someone suggested developing ortho film in very-weak Dektol, like 1:15 for 90 seconds or so. Since my first shot at inter-positives on Ilford Ortho were too contrasty, this sounds good to me. The Ilford literature recommended only film developers and didn't mention Dektol. I'll give this a try next. Anyone have any experience with this? How about Rodinal 1:200 or something like that?

Thanks.

-Mike
fresh film will have more contrast to it. What I do is actually hold it out to be exp0sed to the safe lights for a while. Or barring standing there like the statue of liberty for upward of 20 minutes, I have used a sytrofoam cup over the enlarger lens. This subdues the light and gently adds some flashing to the film. You can do tests to see how long you need to flash the film this way to get the flatness you want.

As for Dektol I found that a tray that had been used for years as a paper developer tray that had a residue of old dektol built up on it, was the greatest thing to develop the ortho film in. I just added water no developer and it was just enough to process the film in 90 seconds. barring this I saved some old developer that was nearly exhasuted and used it.

I keep a watch for old ortho/copy film on ebay. The stuff that is about 30 years old is great. Nice flat interpositives with it. Also the stuff on ebay is about 1/4 the price of the new ortho film. I currently have a stock pile of around 500 4x5 sheets that I do not refrigerate. I want it to not be contrasty. The opposite holds true for the final negative. You want the contrast. Just be careful and do not over do the contrast.

I've added two examples of an interpositive. One is the final positive, the other is the test strip to see what exposure I wanted. each incriment is 1 second.