How you use it really depends upon the camera, weight, etc. For example, using it with a Leica M6 with a 35mm lens would be totally different than using it with an SLR with a 300mm lens. So, you will have to develop a technique for each application.

I like to use monopods and have two of them. As stated above, you need to consider it the third leg of a tripod with your legs forming the other two. I like to wrap the camera's carrying strap around one of my elbows and gently apply pressure to the camera while holding it against my eye. This seems to aid me in stabilizing the whole affar. The biggest lens I use it with is an 80--200 zoom (not a huge lens by wildlife or sports photo standards) and can readily use down to 1/15 second exposure.

Using it with my Plaubel Makina 6x7, I have pulled off 1/2 second exposures. It takes some work & practice, but I'm sure you could do it too. I will say that years of target shooting have aided me in doing this as I am well aware of my breathing and heart rate. I find that, just like with shooting, pushing the shutter with a gentle exhale helps.

With target guns you can work with the trigger action & double set triggers, etc. for a really light release. Unfortunately, you can "tune" a camera release system to that level. But, what you can do is learn the amount of pressure it takes to release the shutter, and push down on the shutter button just short of releasing it. Then when you make the exposure, gently push the rest of the way & hold so that you don't get a "stab & release" that jerks the camera.

What you're trying to do is take all of the extra travel out so that you're minimizing the motion & pressure required to release the shutter. Like most every endeavor, this will take a little practice until you develop your techniques and sense of where the trip point is for your camera. I'd suggest using your camera with a range of lenses & no film and practice "dry firing" the camera until you become used to the camera and monopod.