Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
I was in the book store and found one of his books, when I got home I did a web search and was very pleased to find the site. It's not often I get as lucky as this.
Curt
Curt,

You might want to contact Magnum PARIS and ask them which Cartier-Bresson books they have in stock (often, they have books by their photographers which can't be found elsewhere) http://agency.magnumphotos.com/about/contact/paris.aspx

Also, check out the Fondation Henri-Cartier Bresson, also here in Paris (http://www.henricartierbresson.org/index_en.htm).

Secret No. 3: The Magnum Print room. If-and-when you come to Paris, drop by Magnum and shop their stock of original prints. You sit in a private room and they bring out boxes of prints from their achives. It's surreal. This stock just became available a few years ago when digital photography took its toll and reduced the necessity for "hard copy" prints. While you search for your bargain, it's kind of cool to be able to sift through the piles of so many classic images! (Contact India at Magnum ... that's her first name)

Something to get off my chest about Cartier-Bresson, for whose work I have the utmost respect: I spoke with him in 1999 to verify a quote widely attributed to him. I think it was in the 1950's that he supposedly said —of West Coast photographers such as Adams and Weston— , "I don't understand these guys.. photographing rocks and trees, when the whole world is falling apart". I have always found the idea that one type of photography should be thought of as "more valid" than another totally stupid. (I've argued frequently with a few French colleagues about this). I also wanted to know why he didn't seem to understand that people —artists— naturally photograph (or paint, or sketch, or write music about) things within their universe. I told him that when war and large populations of people are part of one's universe, that's what they photograph. When one is surrounded by a world of rocks and trees, well ....that's what they photograph. He tended to agree with me but he wormed his way out of taking credit for the quote by saying that he didn't remember if he had said it or not (subtle difference with "I don't remember saying it". Welcome to the world of French diplomacy!). In any case, he didn't deny saying it.

Anyway, he and I were in harmony with the appreciation of the work of his friend, Walker Evans. He added that he prefered the work of Evans to that of Ansel Adams.

Vive le open-mindedness.

Christopher