I have four published books:

Landscapes 1975-1979 (Winner of Le Grand Prix du Livre--best photography book of the year--at the 1981 Festival in Arles, France.) Introduction by James Enyeart, then Director of the Center for Creative Photography in Tucson, Arizona.

Michael A. Smith: A Visual Journey--Photographs from Twenty-Five Years. This book was published on the occasion of my 25-year retrospective exhibition at the George Eastman House in 1992. Foreword by Marianne Fulton, then Curator of Photography at GEH, and essay by John Bratnober.

The Students of Deep Springs College. Portraits of the entire student body at the most unusual college in America. Published in 2000. With a preface by myself, an essay about the history and philosophy of the college by L. Jackson Newell, the president of Deep Springs. Writing by each of the 25 students, and an afterword by the well-known writer William Vollmann.

Tuscany: Wandering the Back Roads, Vol. II—8x20" photographs from three years photographing in Tuscany. Published in 2004. Volume I contains Paula Chamlee's 8x10" photographs. Introduction by Robert Sobieszek, late, and sorely missed, photography curator at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. Foreword by Ferenc Maté, author of "The Hills of Tuscany."