Quote Originally Posted by clay
See the other thread on bleaching re: the so-called dangers of potassium ferricyanide. There seems to be quite a bit of needless worry about this chemical. Unless you dump a bunch of it in concentrated nitric or hydrochloric acid, you are in no danger from this chemical. You probably are exposing yourself to more dangerous stuff in the metol and hydroquinone in most developers.
Clay, thanks for the suggestions, but I would really rather not touch potassium ferracyanide. You see, I'm a clumsy guy. I lost count of how many scars I have in my body (I've had surgery on both my knees to remove scar tissue, in fact), and am still alive today by what is most likely a mix of blind luck and an on-going bet between the gods...

Potassium ferracyanide is a strong corrosive, and that really worries me. The stuff eats through metal, for crying out loud. An ex-professor of mine used to work for the Dallas Morning News, and said they had a bucket of that stuff in their gang darkroom back in the 80's. Everyweek they would need a new brush, because the metal thing that holds the bristles would be eaten all the way through...

As for the developer, I wear my gloves and hope for the best, but one risk cannot justify the other, if you know what I mean.

Could you give the URL for the web page you mentioned? My google search didn't help much (but being a sepia toner, I bet it still requires bleaching).

Les, a quick look at B&H turned up Ammonium Bromide, Potassium Bromide, and Sodium Bromide. Which one are you talking about?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=*&shs=bromide