I think the problem of approaching this by determing the technical data of our eyes is that our perception differs greatly from what we actually see.

For example, we have a limited depth of field...but because our brains registers sight on a continous basis, we do notice few DoF problems. Our focus constantly shifts and our brains creates a flowing image of the world that is all in focus.

Same for field of view...our eyes constantly scan our surroundings, creating a far larger field of view than we get at any instantaneous moment.

Persistance of our memory of vision maintains a continous mental picture of our surroundings. I am staring at the computer screen, but what is surounding me at the edges of my sight remains as part of my visual perceptions.

I made a 360 degree image using a rotating 120 camera -- printed it out. Very confusing...I could see the image, but I could not wrap my mind around it, so to speak. Thinking in 360 degrees is a whole different story -- I don't think our brains, without a lot of training, can handle it.

Vaughn