Quote Originally Posted by Richard Boutwell View Post

Or, is the difference inherent in it being a black and white silver print? Could it be that the realism of color photography doesn't allow for the individualized interpretation of tones that black and white photography does? Or that the fact that being in black and white takes the subject one step into the abstract-- separating it one step further from our experience of the real world?
I agree with this notion.

I recall a comment from AA where he mentioned that he could control color to a certain point until it became "obviously not real"------therefore less creative to him.........or the effort at personal expression at that point begins to get stiffled (my enterpretation of his point).

Fine art B&W photography is not bound by the realism of color and so, perhaps, it is irrelevant when the tones of the image are obviously not real. It takes on a different quality altogether, open to a more free interpretation of the subject matter.

Whereas subjects photographed in color would take on a quality that might approach strange or weird if it were subjected to the degree of contrast control(s) or manipulation that is the hallmark of the B&W process. Therefore, not so forgiving of such a free interpretation of the subject matter.

This is probably not contributing much but it was just what came to my mind.

Chuck