I'm sure we are misunderstanding each other. The patents surely don't teach everything, nor do the texts. Having disassembleld the Polaroid products, and built them from scratch (in color) I understand the difficulties with this.

The silver image must be stabilzed against oxidation and sulfurization. A pyrazole compound among others lends its odor to the lacquer used. It also helps adjust pH.

In addition, the coating has timing layers and neutralization layers to prevent over development. The breakdown of the timing layer changes with respect to temperature, thereby mitigating any temperature effects. Otherwise, on a hot day the Polaroid print would overdevelop. Even so, they give times of development (lamination) for different ambient temps.

Kodak's Ektafllex peel apart print material had to have the same thing built into both the donor and reciever materials in order to get the right image quality and stability. So, it is needed for both B&W silver and color.

For more information, I refer you to patents by Barr, Bush and Thomas assigned to Kodak. Jack Thomas later became VP and Director of Research for Kodak. You may also want to look at patents by Henzel, and also by Armour and Mowrey.

PE