</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jorge @ Feb 6 2003, 09:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>For Gum, I am not an expert by any stretch, but I have done negative registration and I would guess just aligning the previous image with the negative over a light table is best, then just tape it. I hope Clay or Kerik see this, they do Gum over pt and they would be the best source for this kind of set up. You might want to e mail them, they are very kind and free with their advice and knowledge and so far they have been inavaluable to me for solving this kind of problems.
</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
For straight, multi-coat gum, just registering to the previous image can be problematic because after the first layer or 2, the image can still be pretty weak, depending on how you&#39;re building your image. I&#39;ve had good success just by using a very sharp pencil and making an &#39;L&#39; on the paper at each corner of the negative. I then register by carefully placing the neg within these 4 corners and taping it to the paper for each coat.

For gum over platinum or gum over any other substantial image like Cyanotype, you can register subsequent coats visually by laying the neg on the paper and placing both on a light box with a sheet of rubylith or goldenrod over it to prevent the sensitizer from becoming fogged. You will know when your registered because everything will become grayed-out looking. I also lay down a sheet of glass over the neg/paper sandwich (but so that I have access to the edges of the neg so I can move it around). The glass helps to see where you&#39;re at with the alignment.

This is much easier to do than it is to explain. I hope that makes sense...

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Also, as Jorge mentioned, pre-shrinking the paper is necessary for most papers. Also, sizing the paper is a real key to successful, clean-looking gum or gum over prints.

Good luck&#33;

Kerik Kouklis
www.Kerik.com