Quote Originally Posted by Martin Reed View Post
I drove myself nuts trying to coat plates when we were putting the 'Silver Gelatin' book together. The best results I had with pouring on were when I preheated the glass, enabling the emulsion to stay hot & hence very mobile. A bit of dilution might also help, but you don't want to sacrifice density.

Apart from that I got very good results by totally immersing the glass in a bath of emulsion, then lifting & draining to one corner. The backs of the plates were protected with adhesive film that was subsequently peeled away.

NB, Aurum, the publishers have told me they are printing another 1000 copies of the book (no updated version though). Apologies for commercial break.
martin-thanx for all your past published info-goldmines for all

masking the back and dipping works and is fast - know-but being a frugal type i was not happy with the wastage

i was going to put two plates together and dip and separate when set-if glass is flat enuf and you moisten surfaces a little they will stick together by air presure-no need to seal edges

problem is glass sources-regular float glass for windows not flat enuf even in 1/16"

picture frame glass is ok if you get good quality, and when i get some -i want the textured non glare so i can coat on that surface-i feel it will get rid of frilling and will also add a type of halftoneing to printed image that will help whole process-i will will try double dipping first before i go to bar pulling-i allready know how to do that

some brit holo crews salvage old glass plate negs for glass only-soak in household bleach to strip old emulsion-easy

this a is an oppourtunity to share experience with holo crew and other prcesses that maybe not seem to be pertinant but the processes and xperience could add options:

get pastry marble or granite tile and freez and use as chilling table

THANK YOU PE AND FRIEND MARK FOR PUTTING US ON STRAIGHT COURSE

vaya con dios