The difference seems to me more than just color. The Velvia is a sharper film with poor/to fair shadow detail and needs early morning, late afternoon or overcast sky to perform at its best. It is free of of the muddy casts characteristic of Ektachromes. This becomes particularly important in medium format. It is the film of choice for Arizona landscape work.

Quote Originally Posted by gma
After reading about the rich color saturation of Velvia 50 and the pastel color rendition of Astia 100 I made some identical 4x5 architectural shots using Astia 100 and Velvia 50 in daylight. I exposed the Velvia at the rated EI 50 rather than at 40 as I have seen recommended by others. I had not used either film, but I have used Provia with consistently good results. I expected to see a drastic difference, but to my surprise there was a subtle difference. The Velvia has warmer shadows which I much prefer over the slightly bluish cast of Astia and Provia. Greens were noticeably warmer also. If I view the Astia transparency alone it looks perfectly acceptable. When the two are side by side the Velvia wins with more pleasing color in my opinion. I think if I had made a Provia shot too, probably it would fall right between the Astia and Velvia. Now I am curious as to how Velvia 50 compares with Ektachrome VS. Any comments?