Quote Originally Posted by bjorke View Post
Well good luck -- I personally think that the shooters cited so far are not even close. One or two have photos that are evocative of some Gibson pics, particularly from around the "Quadrants" period, but that could almost be coincidence.
Nonetheless, I'll take all the references I can get and enjoy the pictures that come closest to what I'm looking for.

Get a hold of "Refractions" if you haven't -- Gibson also published a description of his 1970's methods in the Lustrum "Darkroom" books (hard to find, but some libraries have them).
Thanks. I'll see if I can't find those.

The Gibson printing technique is currently pretty-well outside the range of digital, btw -- digital cameras block up the highlights. Scanning from over-dense negatives and getting an expanding range of tones is beyond the density-precision of most (if not all) scanners. You can do some with controlled lighting in the studio, but you'll still not get the reflected contrast into those sorts of ranges. So far, B&W film remains the way to go if that look is your desire.
I don't do digital and rarely give much thought to how it differs from film.