I have read arguments for using stop bath, such as:

"I am strongly opposed to the use of a water rinse as a "short stop" bath. There are some problems related to colloidal sulfur, and staining etc. I know some of you will decry my position saying that it never happened to me, however, it may be happening as we speak and you won't know about it for months or years to come."

"To begin with, acetic acid conditions and toughens gelatin without hardening it."

These statements were made by H. Lynn Jones in another forum. I quote them not in their support, but to get some sort of feedback as to their accuracy. Mr. Jones is a long time instructor and has worked in the manufacture of lenses, etc. He is knowledgable and worth listening to.

One last quote from the same discussion...

"I agree with Lynn, water may not show the signs colloidal sulfur, and staining on prints straight away however in time and especially on large prints problems can arise. Just ask any photo librarian or gallery curator and they will let you know exactly how much more longevity prints get when stop bath or acetic acid have been used."

I have never heard such opinions mentioned here in APUG, so I am wondering what PE and others think about the the effect on longivity that using water instead of stop bath might have on film and paper.

Vaughn