Hi - A strange question is this one:

I recently visited an ex-boss of mine. I used to work for him in the darkroom as a printer. Most of the work we used to do when I started was for itinerent street photographers and photographers who used to cold call on houses - "Hello Missis would you like some pictures taken of the kids?" etc.

One of the printed effects that the company used to do was to print a photograph on a (very) soft thin sheet of metal, hand colour it and then mould it onto a plaster base that had a relief image of the same image moulded on it so that it appeared the photograph was slightly three dimensioned. I never saw this produced and wonder if anyone here could tell me how it was done - all I have seen is two examples, one of the bosses grandmother full face and one of a couple full length. At a guess I would suggest the metal was zinc / lead combination.

I am interested in both how the print was put on the metal and how the plaster (if it is plaster) base was moulded to be so much like the picture formed over it. I have quizzed my ex-boss about the process and he hasn't a clue how it was produced but says he remembers the process lasted until the early 1930's and was quite popular.

Does anyone have any comments?

Thanks in advance.


P.S. As the process seems rather alternative I have posted it here but Mods please move it if you feel it is more appropriate elseware.