Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant
It's highly unlikely, with Gold toning the silver is gradually replaced by gold.

But your prints are already selenium toned, gold toner is expensive, photographic paper isn't.

Toning isn't a way of improving a poor print

I'm not sure this is correct. I have read comments to the effect of the Gold actually coating/plating the silver which would explain general density gain (which is definitely the result in gold and to my eye it is more across teh tonal scal than selenium, which has far more effect on shadows relative to highlights). Gold toner is expensive, but per print moderately toned, is cheaper than 20x16 Oriental Seagul paper! There is also the time involved when I have other images to print. Also, as stated the prints are perfect in a well lit room. All I am after is a miniscule flattening of the highlights for direct spot illumination a la display conditions (exhibition). I would undoubtedly keep untoned prints for sale to customers who would display in a normal room without halagon spot illumination. I often print to 2 densities for this reason, as offering a choice to the paying public ensures that you have a suitable print available for either direct or indirect illumination. A print made for direct spot illumination, will look a tad flat and dark under bright ambient conditions. Selenium and Gold work in different ways and with different results. I believe selenium works shadows up and Gold from highlights down. Selenium is often used in conjunction with gold (usualy for different reasons). I am seeking confirmation of the highlight density gain issue and asking how significant this may be with delicate highlights. I may as well just try it....it aint going to do any harm!

Tom