Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
I remember when it first came out. I think Michael and Paula had just released their books on Tuscany, and a local professional photographer had also put up an exhibition of that area. I was not inclined to purchase the book at all. It seemed very superficial and 'prettily' sterile. It was one of those moments when one thinks that various locations (Yosemite, Zabriskie Point, Iceland, Death Valley, Slot Canyons, the 'wave', etc.) are the 'de jour' sites for the full time photographer of landscapes, and 'fine art' who feel that just showing up and making an acceptable image is good enough. Well....I didn't think so then, nor do I now.
I agree totally about this book. Compared to what Smith and Chamlee did his work was just so so. And not compared to their work it was so so. I did have the opportunity to casually view M&Ps Tuscany work and that maybe why I never warmed up to Meyerowitz's vision of the same area.

His book 'Cape Light' is another story though. I think it is orginal in concept and execution, though at times the images can be a bit repititous. Still it's a good effort.

All of his books can be purchased online for practically nothing.