Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
I've got a Vivitar V3800N. I'm not sure if that's the model you're thinking of, but it fits your basic description. It seems like a decent basic camera to me -- but my experience is with fairly inexpensive gear to begin with (there are no Nikon cameras or Zeiss lenses in my collection). It's manual-everything and seems solidly constructed, by modern standards (in other words, it's not built like a tank the way cameras were built a few decades ago). My hunch is that most people who buy $150 Vivitar SLRs would balk at the price tags on the Zeiss lenses described in this thread. Certainly they're outside of my own price range. (I keep reading this thread and hoping I'll win the lottery -- but that's especially unlikely since I don't buy lottery tickets! )
Possibly your right, but my point of view is give me a good basis camera that has mechanical film transport and mechanical shutter. Add the best glass, and what more do I need? I do not need or even want auto focus, motor film advance and a bunch of electronics to go bad. Of course I shoot mostly with Rollei TLR's and occasionally a Linhof 4x5, so they are similar concept, different size.