I suspect an increasing percentage of missed opportunities are being supplied by digital cameras. Mike Johnston's most recent Sunday Morning Photographer column http://www.luminous-landscape.com/co...03-02-09.shtml got me thinking this way.

I very often see digital photographers (digiographers?? them!&#33 gawking at the little screen on the back of the camera for a _long_ time after each shot. What are they trying to see? It's too small to see if the shot is sharp or if the decisive moment's been caught. I guess they're praying. At any rate, they ignore their subjects and surroundings.

And that leads to the second part; Mike indicates that a digital camera allows one to immediately see if the shot's gotten and that's a really good thing. Well, I suppose so, but I think these things conspire to not only create missed opportunities but to also ignore the possibility that the best shot hasn't been shot yet. The snapper, whether digital or saurian, takes the snap and walks away, content in not working the subject.

Think about it. Does the best shot happen in the first, 10th or 100th? Does that additional shot you didn't take constitute yet another missed opportunity?