The September/October APUG Monthly Shooting Assignment is "....to photograph any person, place or thing that has great importance and/or meaning in your life." Pretty simple (for me). Depending on what is currently going on in an APUG'ers life, this could be an 'important' or 'meaningful' thing to do, or not. In my case, it's the following:

Taking a photo of my mom has always been difficult. Either her hair is not right, or she has the wrong clothes on, etc., etc. She just doesn't like to have her photo taken. Diagnosed with Parkinson's back in 1994, she's not doing too good these days and dislikes having her picture taken even more, except for this one time. On Mother's Day in 2006, she cheerfully said yes to my request for a photo. So I ran to my Jeep, got out my camera stuff, and happily fired away. My dad, who is taking the "...in sickness and in health" part of their wedding vows to the fullest meaning of the words, had to be in the photo, of course. Yellow is my mom's favorite color, hence the background.

Picking my parents for my entry is an easy choice for me. We all know what parents do and how important they are to us so I won't go into any more detail on that, but, 18 months after posing for the photo, my mom is still hanging in there. She's falling a bit more and has a cast on her left arm from a fall last week, but man is she tough! She's still smiling.

Although I had the equipment (listed below) with me, I really wasn't fully prepared for my mom to agree to have her photo taken. Otherwise, I would have taken with me a film that would handle skin tones better and I would have also taken my 2 1/4 Bronica equipment. But after decades of "hair not being right/clothes not right", I just brought what ever was nearest the door when I left home. Lastly, the scan is not the greatest and was done by Costco. I"ll get my own scanner some day. The actual slide looks much, much better, but I think you get the idea. :-)

Equipment used:
Nikon F5AE, 24-85mm f2.8-4 Nikkor Zoom, SB-28 Speedlight, small Stroboframe, Gitzo tripod, Manfrotto Proball Head, Fuji Velvia 50 (not the best for people shots).