Quote Originally Posted by jdef
I've been told that Metol will not dissolve in glycol ( I assumed the same for TEA), and that phenidone is the logical alternative for this application. I guess just about anything will dissolve given a high enough temperature, but I wonder how these high temperatures might affect the working properties of the resulting developers. I have concentrates of P-TEA and PC-TEA on hand, and simply mix the two 50/50 to make what must be a very similar developer to PM-TEA, which I call PCP-TEA. Last night I made up a batch of QP-TEA, and was surprised at the long developing times (20 min. for Ultrafine 125). I expected QP-TEA to be about as active as the PG/PQ developer with sodium carbonate and borax, but apparently it is not. I was also surprised by the very minimal stain compared to the PG/PQ. I haven't printed the QP-TEA negatives yet, so I can't comment further on that developer. The PCP-TEA, however is proving to be a very good staining developer, with activity similar to PC-TEA, and stain similar to P-TEA. Patrick has suggested that a pinch of sulfite might be needed to activate the superadditivity between the Pyrogallol and Phenidone, but I haven't tried that yet. The light looks great outside my window, so maybe I'll go expose a roll or two and try it.
Hi, my experience with Metol is that even if you go up to 300F, Metol will not dissolve in PG. On the other hand, Sandy and several others have reported success dissolving Metol in TEA at temperatures around 250F.

My experience with PQ-PG (Phenidone/Hydroquinone/Polyethylene Glycol activated with Sodium Carbonate) is that if the dilution is too great, PQ-PG becomes very inactive and increasing the amount of alkali doesn't help much. PQ-PG works ok at 1:1:100, at 1:1:200 its activity drops off a cliff.

I discovered this while making direct comparisons with PC-PG (Phenidone/Pyrocatechol/Polyethylene Glycol activated with Sodium Carbonate). The PC-PG combination retained its activity at much greater dilution levels than the PQ-PG.

I did not use either sulfite or KBr in any of this testing.