Quote Originally Posted by haris View Post
I am in process of thinking (which model and how) and preparing to buy LF camera, and I will go 8x10, because I don't have space for 4x6 or 5x7 enlarger. That lead to contact printing. I use for now 35mm/6x7

So, after readings, lookings and thinking, for me it is clear: Get a good glass (I have Paterson's 24x30cm contact printer, so first will try that), enlarger (with proper lens/mixing chamber or condensor combination, focused lens) as light source, and I will start with multicontrast papers and will see for further.

Afer that I belive it is all in practice and adjusting process acording "real life" situation.

Regards
Good luck. In my opinion contact prints are the richest, most "true" print medium. (Of course others will disagree with me, but life would be so dull if we agreed all the time )

One thing I did when I started Pt/Pd was to buy some prints from people I considered to be master printers. These became my reference prints. Not only do they look good on the wall, but they're inspirational too. When I struggle and get frustrated, I can get them out and remind myself what's really possible (and how much I've improved since I started ). Good prints from top printers are not cheap but they're worth the investment.

I'd recommend this to anyone who is thinking of starting contact printing (or any kind of printing I suppose). Just make sure they're in the same medium that you want to work in. Obviously there's no point in comparing a master printer's Azo print with one made on enlarging paper, or a pt/pd print with a silver print. They're different media, so are unlikely to be very helpful as educational tools.