</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Aggie @ Feb 12 2003, 10:14 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I just had a critque of sorts yesterday.&nbsp; There are three professors at the college I do my work at.
...&nbsp; Of the latest work I have been doing, one said," You are doing the best work I have ever seen.&nbsp; Keep it up."&nbsp; The next had this to say, " I wish I knew pyro, would you teach me."&nbsp; The third and the one I usually listen to,...</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
Aggie,

I view one aspect of art as being a sort of non-standardized Rorschach Ink Blot test.

As each of us will perceive different images in ink blots, we wil perceive - interpret - each piece of art differently. I don&#39;t know of any "right" answers - and I seriously doubt that there COULD be any critique that is totally - or even reasonably - objective.
This is why I have said that I see critiques as primarily a definintion of the perception, and derivatively, the "being" of the CRITIC - far more than they are indicative of the merit of the work.

I&#39;ve developed a system - or, more properly, in listening to a number of critics, a system has developed within me - to handle the wide variety of "interesting comments". I can&#39;t internalize all of them - many of them are conflicting - and I DO NOT want my work to be anything resembling the product of random motion.

You might consider this:

First - I will LISTEN to each and every critique. I have worked on disciplining myself to listen - no matter how arrogant, elitist, domineering, posturizing, socially inept, ... even vicious .... the critic. I will asume that all are clean, fair and genuinely trying to help. Yeah, I know - Polyanna and all - but it serves the purpose.
As an aside, not much discipline is required here on APUG.

Second - I will consider - evaluate the citicism for three or four seconds. That should be enough time to determine whether of not there is anything of value. The "good insights" as rare as they are, are not difficult to recognize - they seem to strike as a bolt out of the blue. Man... what a KICK it is to discover one of these&#33;

Third - If there is something of value, I wil internalize it - let it drop into my preconscious, write it down if need be (although I don&#39;t, usually - the "good information is hard to forget).
The other stuff - I let it go as though it was never said. No use cluttering up the memory banks with useless junk.

The end product of our individual visions is STYLE. The more well-defined our vision, the clearer our style will be - and thet is far more important to me than trying to satisfy the whims and sensiblites of others.

I just remembered a line from the song, "Garden Party&#39; by Ricky Nelson:
"You can&#39;t please everyone, so you&#39;ve got to please yourself."