Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
Stefan, a simple Google search brings up plenty of material on the relative toxicity of Hydroquinone and Pyrogallol.
Thank you for taking the time and doing a search. I couldn't agree more that Hydroquinone as well as pyrogallol should both be treated with care and will both cause serious problems if not used in line with appropriate caution.

My point is the difference between pyro and hydroquinone and as far as I can your search still didn't turn up anything demostrating any large difference in toxicity or cancerogenicity.

Another states "PYROGALLIC ACID (pyrogallol, 1,2,3-trihydroxybenzene). Pyrogallol is highly toxic by every route of exposure and can also readily be absorbed through the skin. It then goes on to list the problems.
If you extend your search a bit you will find that hydroquinone is also readily absorbed through the skin. Maybe to a lower rate, I don't know. But I would check if wanted to know. Or if I would care if pyro is an extraordinary risk compared to other developing agents which are in regular use or if wanted to write down such a statement in a book.

There is plenty of documented evidence again in scientific publication, looking into the causes of sickness in darkroom workers, and the word Pyrogallol features in them all as being by far the most toxic of the developing agents.
Sounds like interesting reading. I'm sure you could reference it. And you take it for granted that Hydroquinone is much better?

So Anchell & Troop aren't printing myths, it's one of the reasons why photographers and more particularly manufacturers like Kodak, Ilford & Agfa moved away from using Pyro based developers.
They moved away from pyro because hydroquinone was more convenient to use, gave better, more consistent results and was also cheaper.

Do a search for the risks connected with the regular exposition to hydroquinone and it will be equally long showing a different but in no way better picture.

If you check the facts and don't rely on 3rd, 4th, 5th generation literature there is little difference between pyro and hydroquinone with respect to the safety you should apply when using them and the risk connected with their use.

best

Stefan