I tried dissolving 30 grams of sodium sulfite in 200ml of hot PG. Bottom line, sulfite is only slightly soluble in PG. I got maybe half of it or a little less into solution and I ended up at 340 deg. F. The solution started changing color around 320 F - it turned a dirty amber color. I dumped it and tried again.

On the second try, I dissolved 3 grams of Citric acid and 0.2 grams of KBr in 100ml of hot PG (it dissolved around 160 F). I kept heating the solution (with continuous stirring) and when the solution temperature reached 260 F I slowly added 8 grams of sulfite - but only about half of it dissolved. I dumped that, as well.

On my third attempt, I dissolved 3 grams of Citric acid and 0.2 grams of KBr in 100ml of hot (160F) PG, then added another 130ml of PG to the mix and when the solution temperature reached 160 F again, I slowly added 8 grams of Amidol. By the time the solution reached 190 F, most of the Amidol had dissolved. I continued heating and stirring until the solution reached 260 F. At that point a little Amidol debris remained.

I will add the sulfite when I mix the working developer.