Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin View Post
The following may not apply to your bank situation but this is what I found in our local museums gallery.

The first one man show I had was a bunch of 8x10's done at college and the whole event is a blur. The second was all 11x14's and what I found was that people stayed at a comfortable veiwing distance; which meant they kept about 4 feet away from the prints.

No kidding...it was like they were on a conveyor belt sliding parallel to the galleries walls. This bothered me on several fronts; it meant they weren't really engaged, and that inimate close-ups were the same size as distant big sky landscapes...something that just looked wrong to me.

The last show was a range of 5x7 close-ups, 8x10 middle distance scenes, and 11x14 distant big sky landscapes. I liked this better because people would move in close to inspect the details of a 5x7 close-up, move to the 11x14 beside it and stay in close to appreciate the subtle details, then stand back to take the whole print in. Instead of bodies shuffling sideways like they were in a trance, they became engaged, constantly moving in and out.

The next one will be from 5x7 up to 16x20 to better accomodate the range of camera/subject distances between close-ups and big sky landscapes.

Murray
Murray,

That is really interesting, and a great observation. Seems like an engaging way to add to the experience of an exhibit. The conveyor belt observation is spot on.

When I did an exhibit of 8x10 contact prints, people moved right by, usually not getting close enough to really see all that the prints offered.

One thing I did observe (these were every day persons, not familiar with contact printing) was that a few people that leaned closer to see something a bit better, then they would get a funny look on their face and get closer and closer, some with their nose almost on the print, and at that point you would hear them say, very quietly, "Wow."

I would say to Alex to print each the appropriate size, and vary the hangings so as to engage people in the manner you have observed.

Really brilliant.