Quote Originally Posted by photomc
Donald,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. I currently use a Polaris meter, with a semi-spot attachment (5 degree). Your exposure examples are what I had considered for a base for a white church, in bright sun, though I had not considered the reciprocity - I Thank You for that. Just was not sure if I needed to adjust the exposure as you might for snow, to hold the detail in the whites.
Mike,
Since you have a meter with spot attachment...I would meter my shadows and place them on a Zone III or IV placement. This would be one to two stops less exposure then the meter indicates. I would next meter the white church and give three stops more exposure then the meter indicates. This would place the church on a Zone VIII exposure since the meter converts everything to a Zone V luminance. If you find that this range amounts to six stops then I would develop the negative for normal development. If that range is less then six stops then I would increase development to expand contrast. If the range is greater then six stops then I would reduce development to reduce contrast. The filter factor would probably not alter that contrast range materially...the caveat being shadows which would typically be filled with blue light and a yellow or red filter would lower the shadow values because of that consideration.

As always expose for the shadows and develop for the highlights.