You betcha. I have not done the kind of printing that Sandy King and others here have not only done, but improved. I have seen the advantages of combining a staining developer whose stain color is related to one of the colors used in VC printing. I see no harm in extending the spectrum of that stain color. Of course, extending it too much will make it gray, but I don't think that is within the reach of the hydroxybenzene agents.

A small amount of constant magenta filtration can act as compensation to increase contrast in shadows without much effect in highlights. The magenta overcomes the yellow green stain in the deepest shadows, equals it at some point on the characteristic curve, and is overcome in the densest parts of the curve. This is not a simple density function, but at each point along the curve the contrast of the paper is changing. It's not a simple thing to calculate by hand, but the negative and paper can do it.

It would be interesting to see the effect of combining all three, pyrogallol, catechol and hydroquinone in the same developer.