Hi Doug,

I was in your shoes about two years ago. I had just gotten back to photography after a decade long absence. I acquired an 8x10 camera, so I knew I would be doing contact printing. Somehow I discovered the Azo forum over at www.Michaelandpaula.com Many of the threads there discussed using Tmax-400 and Pyrocat HD. I ordered some Pyrocat HD from the Formulary and haven't looked back. There is a lot of info out there on this combination and Sandy King is a wonderful resource for anyone who has issues associated with Pyrocat HD. On a personal level, I didn't want to spend my life testing film/developer combinations so once I tried Pyrocat HD, I stuck with it. I would much rather spend my time getting to know my materials very well, then jumping from film to film, paper to paper, developer to developer. Is it the "Best"? Don't know and don't care, because the Tmax400/Pyrocat HD/Azo combination works wonderfully for me.

You mentioned that you had seen some photographs using pyro that you really liked. Try and find out what materials those photographers used...

Good luck in your quest...