I was going back through what was said about lenses earlier and Kerik's post caught my attention. Specifically, using a lens on a larger plate than it was made for. How do you know if the lens is going to give you bokeh on larger plates instead of just going black?
Kerik, the 3A (listed for 6.5X8.5") covers 11X14?
As I mentioned, I know have a Korona 11X14 and it has 6X6 boards, so I have a little more girth to play with. That 18" verito sounds interesting. Jeremy graciously offered to let me borrow his, but I sent the camera off for a new back. This, however, brought up another problem, perhaps 6X6 isn't gonna be enough for some of these big lenses. Jeremy's 18" has a 6.5" flange.
Any creative ways around this?
Last query: any verito users, use just the rear element?
Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kerik View Post
Just and FYI on this. As Jason Motamedi has pointed out on similar threads, a Petzval is NOT a soft focus lens. They are in fact quite sharp (for their age) in the center. Those of us using them often use them on much larger plate (or film) sizes than they were designed for, so farther away from the center of the image you start getting the cool swirly bokeh going on. But, this is not the same as a true soft focus lens like the Verito, Pinkham and Smith, Kodak Portrait, Imagon, etc. Completely different animal. That said, my most used lenses for wet plate are a Derogy No. 3 Portrait lens (petzval design) for 8x10 and Dallmeyer 3A (petzval) for 11x14. But, also in heavy rotation are various soft focus lenses (18" Verito being the fave), a single-element landscape lens, Dagors, Artars, etc.