Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
I didn't say Virginia ham, I said Smithfield Ham.
Pat, I'm a Yankee. I'm not familiar with one of these hams. It was too obscure of a reference. I see they are dry cured and need to be rehydrated so they are fit for human consumption.

You said:
Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
Come to think of it, people in Virginia use it on Smithfield hams. The ham must be soaked in water for quite some time, the water removed and replaced by fresh, and the process repeated several times to get the salt to the point where a person can safely eat the ham. And you pay a lot for the privilege of doing it.
Your statement is unclear in respect to the previous dicussion. It's really easy to assume you are talking about "it" being borax.

When I make posts, I type them out as I would when speaking, and then I go back over them and reread them to look for where I can make them more clear and precise. I replace a lot of "it"s with the actual item name or decription so it reads more clearly.

By the way, Borax was used as a "bug killer" in the production of hams beginning in the 1880s or so - it keeps the "skippers" out, some kind of fly that spoils ham. The FDA does not allow this use, as we all know and with your propensity for talking about borax as a home remedy, who can tell what you are talking about?!