Quote Originally Posted by Doug Bennett
I'm in the thick of printing for a show, and bought some Fortezo grade 3 glossy. Amazing stuff! With VC paper, I often found that slight variations in exposure made the difference between a decent print and a throwaway. With this paper, there is a wide variation in what will make a good print. The highlight rendition is just fabulous, and the blacks are ..... really black.
Well having switched from Agfa Classic after about 18 years of using only Record Rapid - fixed grade until its replacement by the Multi Contrast Classic I'll add my comments.

I've switched to Classic Polywarmtone (Forte & Bergger its the same emulsion, J&C sell it in US) I only use FB papers. I'm currently printing for an exhibtion at breakneck speed. . . . .

1 Like you I've found that I need to make significant shifts in exposure to increase or decrease overall density, the Agfa papers were far more sensitive.

2 I'm getting a far greater tonal range in a print and haven't had to resort to flashing to tame highlights.

3 Unlike you I'm using a variable contrast paper to the same ends, but then it's the same manufacturer - Forte so we should be getting similar results.

4 I push & pull my prints to vary image colour & tonality, I had the same school of mentors as Les McLean.

5 Like Jeanne Forte papers seem to react quickly to Selenium toning. 3 mins is the rough break point when freshly topped up.

Have to say that my (photographer) friends are saying my new prints are my best yet, and when I stick new prints on Forte alongside the old cadmium based Record Rapid I have to agree.