Quote Originally Posted by paul ron
air dry is fine if you are only working on a few prints at a time. What about trying to dry 30 prints in a session? My son tells me his college has some sort of a machine you feed the print into, then it comes out hot on the other side nice and dry in no time at all.

Has anyone heard of such a machine? I really don't want prints hanging and racks or blotters.

they exist--would either be a forced hot air dryer, or an infrared dryer. rather expensive new, even used....The cheapest are nothing more than semi-enclosed racks similar to what you'd dry a fiber print on, yet they'll have a heated blower. Premier makes one like this, Zone VI has one also.

Most common models use a series of rollers--many start with soft foam rollers to squeegee the print. then they may move to a "socked" roller--another absorbent type roller, and then are carried under/over heated coils. A blower is usually involved as well, and you can vary the heat & speed of the dryer. Jobo, Regal/Arkay, California Stainless, Calumet etc all offer variations on this. The infrared dryers are similar, but usually more compact. They move the print through rollers, but pass under a set of infrared heating elements (one I use has a set of glass rods, with the element inside) that are within a mirrored type housing. It pretty much bakes the print dry in no time at all, and imparts a gloss that beats all air-drying and gives you a great max black. I also use an Arkay RC1100 dryer, which works great, but not as fast as the IR dryer. Takes about 15-20 sec. to dry a print whereas the IR is like 10 sec.

You might be able to find one used, but it needs to be clean. It'd be much cheaper to use a clothesline, or a screen.....it only takes about 5 minutes to air dry an RC print.