I think the last three posts all make good points, and have fairly pointed out weaknesses in my arguments presented above.

In writing the essay, I had to find some balance between the purely technical arguments against photographers using equipment in a way that foils their efforts (much film, little vision) and the more motivational effort to get young photographers to slow down and start using photography to create an image, not just capture one.

gwrhino (do you capitalize a small cap name at the beginning of a sentence?) made a good argument against some of the assumptions I made. But he misread my assumptions just a bit. I assumed there are some photographers out there who, in reading my essay, will recognize themselves in the fast-shooting 'they'. I didn't mean to say that good photos are impossible with a 35mm camera (an argument fully bolstered with the reference to H.C.B. and I'll add Galen Rowell for the landscape crowd). Admittedly I have on occasion used my 4x5 in that fast-shooting mode (albeit at 6 frames per minute, not per second) in an equally hasty and non-visionary manner.

And I realize my asking an if about Jackson was fatuous, as is asking every question that has no answer. I asked it for purely rhetorical reasons, to draw out the contrast between Jackson's method and our own.

Mr. Levitt and jgef both make good statements about and arguments for the artistic approach to the problem, and again I claim the essayists prerogative to depart from rigorous fact and philosophy to make a point. With sufficient vision a good photographer should, with single frames of super-8 movie film, produce masterpieces.

Frankly I missed it. I don't have any artistic training, and I'm largely ignorant of the philosophy of art (an incomplete undergraduate minor in humanities is as close as I've gotten, and I've forgotten much of that in the 20 years that have elapsed). I'm a Ph.D. chemist, and a color darkroom junkie, so I approach photography wholly from the technical side.

"People complain most about their own worst faults" is an old adage, but it's one demonstrated above. In reality the careless they in my essay is me. I'd like to think it's the me of two years ago, but old habits die hard, and I still find myself wanting to shoot fast. And every time I've given in to the temptation I've wasted film.

Thank you for your compliments, and for your well-spoken disagreements.