Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
Wow....your quandary is an unusual one.
I guess what I'm saying is that I don't want to shoot for the sake of shooting.

I want to set out on a project, which has a message, a defined audience and in the end, if that audience is satisfied, I know I've done a good job.

I have been shooting for myself for the last 2 years... mainly. To try out a new technique, just to see what something looks like on film... etc. It helped me control the medium I'm using, but it has no message. It is useless by itself. And I don't want that.

It kinda sounds like you're afraid to shoot because someone might find your photograph limited or boring. OTOH, "this will only excite me" is even more perplexing since it suggests you want to be bored by your own work????? I'm baffled by that statement!
Nah. Just that wouldn't stop me. It's just that I know, that nobody else, but me is going to find it interesting. If it pleases just me, it's not enough. I want it to please an audience of some kind.

In any case, making exposures, developing film, and printing as well as you can ought to excite your appreciation for the objects you've created... prints...let alone the personal expression that they may reveal. Just do it! A lot!! Worry about the "value" of what you've created later (or not at all).
I don't know. Maybe you're right, but it almost sound like you're saying to keep throwing paint on the canvas in the hopes that something worthwhile might come out.

There's got to be a scale to measure success. If I just shoot for the sake of shooting, how do I know when if/when I'm doing good or bad? How do I know if I succeed or fail?