Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
"Personally, I believe there is sufficient ugliness in the world without me adding to it.."

can't an image of a Challenger be beautiful? does it have to be ugly?
I have moved from being a Celebrationist (I still celebrate the female form) into being more of a challenger.
However, I doesn't seem to be able to make "ugly" images.. (or so I am told).

where does that leave me?
Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
How should photographers work with models in the studio? Many, if not most, people have an opinion on this. I don’t know whether there’s a “correct” way of working.....
you continue: "as both of them are comfortable with it and they trust each other."

that's true of course. I think the "correct" way of working with a model is simply (not easily done) to be honest.
If you're honest, you can do about anything with the model, because there is no hidden agenda.
which makes it easier for the model to be comfortable.....
Hi Emil,

I wasn’t trying to imply that “Celebrationist” and “Challenger” are mutually exclusive, just that the more someone celebrates the less they tend to challenge and vice versa (the more they challenge the less they celebrate). I must say that your work is very, very beautiful, and photos like Sad Angel raise lots of questions. But I don’t find the same level of challenge as I do with Mapplethorpe’s X portfolio which, in my opinion, is very far over on the Challenger side of the scale. That leads me to the thought that one person’s Celebrationist may be another’s Challenger… Does that make sense?

On your other thought about working with models... You’ve hit the nail on the head – the correct way to work with a model is to be honest, totally honest. Now I come to think of it, probably all the horror stories that models have told me are about dishonesty, hidden agendas, or breach of trust. Thank you. And now I need to work out how to re-write / update that section

Thanks again Emil for your contribution.

Ian.