Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
Diane:

Even if you don't use natural light, the one-light-and-a-reflector approach is also good for learning. Still-life is mostly about composition, so the fewer things you have to trip over (both literally and figuratively) the better off you will be.
Good luck!
I agree with what greybeard is describing.

After studying lighting technique from many sources and collecting a wide assortment studio lighting equipment and accessories, I learned that a simple lighting technique gives a more natural look to the subject. It also prevents the unnatural starry-eyed look of more than one catch-light in portraits.

Aside from my personal preferences for subjects, I've done extensive tabletop product photography and was most satisfied with the single light source and reflector approach. Modifying the light quality (mostly soft) was the easy part of the process. Occasionally, a little spot lighting was needed for further emphasis of a certain subject feature.

I'm using florescent lighting more (not for color), but the output is not very intense (rather dim) unless you use many and that requires more space.