Others have answered, but from your question I suspect you might want to get a clearer idea of what is happening during processing so you can make up your own mind.

Developers are alkaline and development can only continue in an alkaline environment. Dunking the film in an acid stop bath (no more acidic than table vinegar, so no worries about that) rapidly changes the environment to acidic which stops development almost immediately.

Fixer is (usually) acidic. Using an acid stop bath prevents the alkaline developer from contaminating the fixer (which needs to be acidic to work). So, when using an acid fixer, the use of an acid stop bath both arrests development rapidly and extends the life of the fixer. Two good things in one!

Using water, the development is not stopped so suddenly, slowing development down until it eventually is effectively stopped as the water dilutes the developer soaked into the emulsion over a period of several seconds. Is this amount of extra development time important? Probably not in the great scheme of things given all the other variables. To avoid contaminating the fixer, a few changes of water with agitation will probably be required.

However, if you use a non-acidic fixer (not so common, but quite a few people prefer them) then you would probably use a few changes of water and not an acid stop as the acid would contaminate the alkaline, or neutral, fixer. All these fixers, both acid and alkaline, (and neutral) will have buffering agents to reduce the effects of this kind of contamination but they will last much longer if they are not contaminated in the first place.

If you do not like the smell of most stop baths, you can use a citric acid based stop (most are acetic acid - as in vinegar - based). Ilford (Ilfostop), Fotospeed and Tetenal amongst others make them. These have no odour at all. They work out somewhat more expensive I think, but that is a small price to pay for no odour IMNSHO .

Good luck, Bob.