This camera wasn't meant for you and me - unless you shoot sports or are a working photojournalist. My wife's Canon 10D is always buffer constrained when used at sporting events. The 1D MII won't have this problem.

Just remember, cameras like the 1D MII have saved photojournalism. By making transmittal from the event virtually real time, still photography can compete with the cable news video clip.

That said, I agree with you about the machine gun vs. contemplative approach. My Leicaflex SL (extoled in a previous thread) just gave up the ghost after 35 years of service. Could be fixed, just not economically justifiable to spend $600 to make it right. I used it mostly for my 90 f2 and 180mm f2.8 lenses. I'm trying to decide if I should buy a great Canon autofocus 135mm f2 lens or a used Leica SLR body for my existing lenses. The Canon lens would be much sharper than my Leica lenses but I'm resisting because autofocus cameras don't do manual focus well.

My feeling is that the autofocus Canon will provide more good shots, many not even possible with a manual focus SLR, but that great shots would be elusive.
Take care,
Tom