After having tried out my Nikon D80 for a year's time and never really liking it, I have decided to sell it and stick to shooting film with my manual Nikon equipment instead. My wife thinks that I am out of my mind, so I thought this forum might be a good place to get some support...

When I use my Nikon FE2/FM3A I somehow get the feeling of being a "photographer" and this in turn makes me take better pictures. I simply pay more attention and this shows off in the end results. (Lenses with fixed focal lenghts makes me more conscious about composition. Manual focus makes me think about where focus should be. Having to set the aperture makes me consider the depth-of-field. And so on...). I have also built up a collection of manual lenses over the years (favourite small setup: 28/50/105, favourite medium size setup: 20/28/50/105/180, favourite large setup: 16 fisheye/20/28/50/85/105/135/180) which feels much more at home on a manual body.

I will have to pay for film again, and I will need to get it developed (either doing bw by myself or sending it away). But I'm certain that shooting digital would cost even more, just thinking of how much I lost on the D80 in only one year's time...

It's a relief to be back in the analog world again. Film might be a niche market, but it is the niche where I like to be.

Regards,
Erik Ehrling (Sweden)