Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Revy
I saw an interview with James Nachtwey a year or so ago, and he spoke very eloquently about this dilemma between making the photograph and putting the camera down to help. He has, from time to time put the camera down, but if there is help nearby then he has a job to do, and a story to tell. That's not to say there aren't photographers out there who exploit situations for their own egos, agendas, and careers, because there are.
Maybe he's had time to reflect on the moment. In the interview I saw with him several years back, he seemed to feel completely justified and was quite vocal in his purpose; that being to capture a shot that would become iconic and garner him the Prize.

From the film footage that I saw, there seemed to be a considerable amount of time from when the children came into view and when the soldiers got to them to help. Nachtwey was clearly the closest to them, even ahead of the film camera who was closer to the soldiers. Even after he had the shot and put his camera down, I didn't see him doing anything to help. But that's all 30-some years in the past now. And my recollections may also be clouded by time.

All in all, I never felt revulsion over Eddie Adam's photo. I did feel revulsion that someone could publish the picture of the little girl. I though it was entirely exploitive back then when I was sweating out the war, and now, thirty-some years later.