Cheers to the original poster for bringing in painting -- too bad it went that way.

I've never been fond of Magritte. Haven't seen a show devoted to him, I would of course given the opportunity.

Currently reading "A life of Picasso, the triumphant years, 1917 - 1932" by John Richardson. This is the third volume in
a series. For someone truly interested in pictures and their making, it seems to me there can be nothing more essential
to read. The book is full of photographs, of course, and it puts photography where it belongs: useful, even interesting
documentary role, perhaps reaching one of the lower artistic planes on occasion, but a flickering candle compared to
the raging sun of painting. Interestingly, and this I didn't know, Picasso used photography in preparation for some of
his paintings. In 1918, he had a professional photographer named Emile Délétang photograph his first wife Olga and used
the photo very closely as a reference when painting her portrait. I think he saw photography as a very efficient drawing
tool. It would be very interesting to know why he wanted the photograph. I assume he would have made plenty of drawings
as studies. He could draw "more correctly" than any camera lens. Knowing why might be the key to understanding the most valuable
thing about photography. Picasso had the greatest eye in art.