Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
I find the holga to be a tool to use when a "distorted" or "dreamy" look seems suitable. I find it very useful for old things, especially buildings. Industrial subjects work great too. When printing, using heavy sepia toning or lith printing can result in beautiful prints.
Amen to all of that, as I've done pretty much everything you've described and agree with you completely. I've discovered many ways that both the Holga and the Diana really take a lot of the conventions of "normal" photography and just throw them out the window. I've recently been shooting in Santa Monica at the Arlington West exhibition that's erected every Sunday on the beach, and my Holga has been producing images in a context that digital just cannot do...not without hours of work in Photoshop, anyway.

One of the things that plastic cameras can do for the photographer is relieve them of the burdens that too much technology can bring about. I personally feel that a weight has been lifted from my shoulders whenever I put my DSLR down and pick up one of my beloved little plastic hunks of junk, and it has nothing to do with how much the cameras physically weigh.

Holgas can also produce some really great portraits, under the right circumstances. About a year ago, I did a shoot for a local band here in L.A. I shot digital, color film (crossed), and B&W Holga...and they went absolutely bonkers over the Holga material. Go figure.

Considering that plastic cameras can do all of this stuff and more, I think the moniker of "real camera" applies just fine to these little buggers, thank you very much.