Macro can be a technical/high detail illustration such as the mechanism of a watch or can be an abstract art form where the viewpoint is rather abstract and form,color,and composition are predominant and what the subject IS may be LESS evident because of it being so out of the usual scale.

I like to put my 300 f4 tele on a bellows and shoot flowers. Even better....use a grainy high speed slide film. The results are not "accurate" as much as interpretive. I may stick an old Zeiss Tessar on tubes just for a different flavor. Again...the most "true" rendition isn't the point as much as findind a bit of extra "soul" in the subject. Much of the attraction of macro is that you get a much different view of what might be something fairly common. NOT using the "right" lens or film may actually add to that. The unexpected is what can seperate solid from special or craftsmanship from art. 35 mm's edge in macro is in large part that you are more apt to have an assortment of hardware as well as the relative agility to find the point of view. Often the GREAT shot is what you got using the WRONG lens and an unlikely angle and composition.