Just to clarify.... the whole reason for doing this one film is that it would be a way to have everybody shooting the same way, using the exact same medium, the exact same camera. Yes I know there are p&s cameras and cell phone digicams, but you see, then the apparent "quality" of the image (which we see in publication or on web) is determined by the financial position of the person and their skill level with that equipment. In some sense, a simple film p&s or holga could be a great equalizer.

Imagine, for example, an Iraqi kid and a parliamentarian and foreign soldier all using the same camera. That places them all, in a sense, at the same level in terms of what they capture and how they capture it. Then the only variable is their individual perspective. the idea is to do everyhting I can to make their perspective the major determinant of what they capture- not social level, education... number of f&@#ing megapixels....

So, I understand fully that people do have cell phones and digital cams etc., but again, the point is to create a "day in the life" project in which people have equal opportunity to represent their perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by firecracker View Post
What troubles me is that you said in your earlier post that you can't go to Iraq because of your family, etc, but you expect something from the people you don't even know and/or are not going to meet at all? You don't think that they have the same concerns and priorities as you do?
Well, presumably a native knows more about their security situation than I do. Frankly, if I went over and walk down Main Street Baghdad with my cameras I would (a) be a sitting duck and (b) wouldn't necessarily find a perspective that is any more original than every other journalist on the ground there. I exude westerness, I can't help it As for the safety/ethics issue, I was merely musing that this project would, in essence, pass the buck on to those people who do the actual photography. So there is some fundamental ethics in play, but I would not be forcing anyone to do photography. My role, ethically, would be to arrange as equal access to the cameras as possible, to collect the output, and to try not to filter the images I receive from them, but rather to try to see them published as a whole entity (misexposed frames notwithstanding!). I also think that the idea of a roll of film being their individual story is attractive. With digital imges, that story has no well defined beginning and end.

C'mon fellas, don't make me have to defend film in this thread, the advantages should be obvious to all of you

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

P.S. Look, I grew up in war zone in Africa, I know very well, firsthand, how one-sided news reporting can be and how many different perspectives there can be of one event. Just for the record, the world is only just now starting to see the issues in Zimbabwe that I grew up around and understood intimately. My neighbors were killed by the "freedom fighters" for chrisakes, where was that in the media in 1980? Anyway... I suppose that experience is what motivates me here, pure and simple: see what others can see, let them take us places that we cannot [yet] go.