Very good question Jim and I agree. Many, many famous locations have been done to the point of cliche.

However, I will build a little upon what Tom Duffy mentioned. I think the degree of cliche is attributable to the photographer. Last Spring, I got to see Michael A. Smith's work first-hand. Two of his photos struck me along the cliche theme. (These were both 8x20 B&W contact prints.) This first was his rendition of Bryce Canyon. It was the "standard view" that countless people have shot. Except, it was B&W with the most shimmering array of gray tonal values I have ever seen. I said out loud "why would anyone say this has to be done in color".

The second was some South Western desert buttes. "Monument Valley" I reverently thought and asked? "No" replied Michael, "I don't remember where it was". A nameless place and I thought I was looking at the classical Monument Valley scene. John Ford would have drooled!

Well, not everyone of us can handle the famous and obscure so well. But with this experience in mind, I now believe its still the individual photographer that makes the difference. Wasn't it Bravo who said "those who see through another photographer's eyes are blind"?