Nicholas;

I did exactly that google search and the first thing that came up was that quote. I thought it rather amusing. And of course, from that POV in your post above, you are completely correct.

Yes, it can passivate metals from forming metal salts. Isn't that somewhat what I described? I was being tongue in cheek though referring to the patent! The action in photography was not quite as you described though if you read my post.

You said: "Benz forms a waterproof polymer when it contacts any metal and this keeps the developer from acting on the grain. Once the the developer starts acting the benz has less effect. " , and this is really quite incorrect. The actual reaction or action if you will is in my first post here. It appears that you couldn't get past the part that offended you. I'm really sorry about that.

AAMOF, all 3 compounds I mention are also used as corrosion inhibitors on metals. The interesting difference here that you missed is that in the case of corrosion inhibition, the compounds prevent oxidation or corrosion of the metal to form a salt, and in photography, the 3 compounds act essentially on the salt to prevent formation of the metal (fog). Think about that.

In photo engineering circles, benzotriazole is referred to BTW, as BTAZ.

PE